CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving has come to an end...


Well I figured I would go ahead and post the events of my Thanksgiving. So sit down, grab a drink and you might as well run and pee or whatever you need to do before you read.. LOL

Well I worked from 1800-0600hrs Wednesday night so I was not home the night before to get things prepared as usual.
I am the cook in the house, since most of you do not know that
I started running a fever around 2am Thanksgiving morning and by the time I got off at 6am my fever was running 101.9. What made it worse was I had to start cooking as soon as I got home. I ended up going upstairs and sat in the tub with the shower running on hot just to warm myself up because I was freezing thanks to the fever. I came downstairs and started making my stuffing for the Turkey. We were due to leave my house at 11am to go to my sisters house so by 10:30 My daughter Jayme and I were stuffing the turkey.


My son John wanted nothing to do with sticking his hands into the 21lb bird. LOL
I put the turkey in the cooker. The directions called for 4.5 hours at 350 degrees. So I figured I would put it in at 250 degrees and it would be fine by the time I got home around 6pm. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention prior to leaving the house I had to make home made dough for my dinner rolls, I have to let it rise for 1 1/2 hours then beat my dough (lol) and separate into balls in the respective pans and let rise 45 more minutes. I brought the dough to my sisters with us so it could just sit in the bowl until around 2pm. Then I would separate them and let them rise in the pans for the 45 min. Well I am here to say... If you let them rise longer then it calls for.. the entire texture is different.. LOL anyways they turned out well enough to eat.

So if you remember and or are still reading, I have my turkey at home cooking at 250 degrees.. I crashed at my sisters house on the couch until 6:15ish (thanks to the fever) we then return home and I am looking forward to the turkey being done and my just having to carve and go to bed since we were doing the actual meal Friday with some our friends and my wife's family. Well TURKEY WAS NO WHERE NEAR BEING DONE. It was warm and that's it.. I was sooo mad. So I turned up the heat and Jordan my 12 year old was up watching movies so she kept waking me up hourly to check the Damn Turkey. Needless to say by 1230am I was taking the turkey outta the cooker. I took the stuffing out and threw the bird whole into the fridge.. LOL

So Part two of my Thanksgiving hell was on Friday. I finished preparing the rest of the meal. Had my pies baking, the bird rewarming. Here is were the circus comes to my kitchen, as I am cleaning out the pan to put my spiral ham in, my wife decides its time to put the game "sorry" away in the cabinet above the sink in which I was washing the ham pan. I got annoyed and went to the oven to get the pies out so my wife could "put away" the game. While I am reaching into the oven getting the cookie sheet with 2 pies on it, my daughter Jordan (12 year old) decided she wants a drink and squeezes in between me and the cabinet with the glasses. Well here is were it goes down hill. I ended up burning myself right threw the hot pad, have no clue how, started to drop my pies while tap dancing around Jordan and 1 pie goes to the floor landing upside down. I threw the cookie sheet with 1 surviving pie on the stove and swore I was done trying to cook since "EVERYONE" else had better things to do in the kitchen and I left the room.
I finally cooled my jets, went back to the kitchen and started making yet another batch of dough...Put a stick of butter in the microwave to melt for said dough and completed dough and placed in warm spot to rise. Well here is where my multi tasking kicks in. I decided to hang the Christmas lights outside. So I did that while dough was rising. Lost track of time doing lights and putting the inflatables up etc, etc, etc.
Oh also watching my son John (7 years old) learn how to ride a bike with no training wheels because Jayme (8 years old) decided he should learn that day and took them off his bike. I watched him ride into a concrete curb introducing little boy parts to the handle bar.. Needless to say took a licking and got right back on. Only to allow him about 20 minutes before he rode right into the neighbors large Rubbermaid mailbox and post. "Head meet mailbox" He got up, rubbed his head as he ran to me. I checked his head and told him he wasn't bleeding and off he went to get back on that bike. He just doesn't give up.. LOL
So we all are now going inside since people are arriving to the house and I have to make the green been casserole, bake the rolls and make mashed potatoes. I open the microwave to throw "canned" gravy in to warm and whats in the microwave? THE FREAKING MELTED BUTTER FOR MY DOUGH.... So to end this nightmare of a holiday, We all ate, talked and laughed. Everything turned out well and it was nice being able to get together with friends and family 2 days in a row even though I was still running a fever.. LOL
Today is now Sunday and It is now 1904 hours (7:04pm) and I am only 1 hour into my 12 hour shift. I will be here working until 0600hrs Monday morning. So feel free to say hello to me on here as I will be checking this and reading other peoples blog postings.

Later to all my friends old and new on here and to those of you I have yet to meet that are reading this..

0 comments: